Vitamin D is an Essential Hormone
Vitamin D is not a vitamin, it is a hormone from the same family of steroid hormones as estrogen, progesterone, testosterone and cortisol. This means that, like these other hormones, vitamin D regulates gene expression in the nucleus of a cell. It doesn’t just have a seat on the front row in regulating our biochemistry, it is conducting the orchestra!
The National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey III conducted by the CDC shows a relationship between vitamin D deficiency and obesity, hypertension and diabetes in adults. Vitamin D deficiency early in development has also been associated with a 200% increase in the incidence of type I diabetes (childhood) and multiple sclerosis, both autoimmune diseases. And numerous studies show roughly half the risk for cancer with greater UV light exposure and higher vitamin D intake.
Vitamin D is important for calcium absorption and strong bones and teeth. We now know that it also slows cell growth, preventing the assembly line mistakes that lead to malignant transformation in cells. It regulates activation of our immune system during fetal development, ensuring that our immune system establishes tolerant recognition of our own normal cells. This early education of the immune system combined with norm al blood levels enhances our ability to recognize and fight cancer cells and infections throughout our life.
Lack of vitamin D is the cause of Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD).
Balance Your Hormones Naturally
- What is Progesterone?
- What is Estrogen Dominance?
- Hormonal Imbalance and PMS
- Fertility and Miscarriage
- Men’s Hormone Health
- Why Test Your Hormones?
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Site References
- Kokoro® Ingredients
- Proposition 65 Cancer Warning Info
- Where Can I Get Professional Help?
- Free Ebook: Good, Better, Best
- Hormone Related Products
Balance Your Immune System Naturally
- The Immune System
- Why Immuno-Care?
- Colds and Flu
- Cardio Vascular Disease and Cholesterol
- Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH)
- Antioxidants, Sterols and Inflammation, a Natural Approach
- Immuno-Care™ Ingredients per Capsule
- Suggested Use and Cautions
- Vitamin D Deficiency - Who is at Risk?
- Vitamin D is an Essential Hormone
- Why Test for Vitamin D?
- How Much Vitamin D to Take?